Thursday 17 February 2011

Peter Orullian's Webseries, "Cradle of the Scar"

In preparation for the launch of his debut novel, The Unremembered in April, author Peter Orullian has created the first in a six part webseries entitled: "Cradle of the Scar".

I get excited about telling stories in different media. And I wrote this six-part webisode series entitled "Cradle of the Scar" with a particular idea in mind. I wanted to write more about the Scarred Lands in the world of The Vault of Heaven. And I also wanted to try my hand at pivoting several unique points of view around the same event, much like the film Vantage Point.

To that end, I also decided to work with different artists for each webisode to give some visual differentiation to the six characters and their voices. Once all six are done, I suspect you could watch them in any order and do just fine. But in my mind, there is a nice flow to the sequence as I've numbered them. I'll post each new one about every other week.

Here's the thing that just tickles me: If you watch this and then read the book, you'll have a deeper context for a few of the events and moments in the novel. You don't need to see these for the book to work, of course. It's additive story. It's like finding an Easter egg. But I've been enjoying some instances of the movement that's meant to describe this entire approach: transmedia. It's a highfalutin term, but indeed even Hollywood is now hiring producers and directors who can do this kind of thing—working across multiple media to tell related stories in or of the same universe.
Here's the first episode.



No comments: