Friday 19 February 2016

Popin' Cookin' Obento!

I've heard of Popin' Cookin' Japanese candy mixes before but they weren't a thing when I lived there, so I've never tried one.  Well, my husband located some and here's the one we did:


Inside the box is a foil packet that you cut apart for the box and accents, little packets of fruit flavoured candy powder, and a container for making the shaped candy that includes a little cup for measuring the water.

Here's a video by Kawaii Kakkoii Sugoi showing how to make the various components.



And the finished bento box with broccoli, spaghetti, fried chicken (meatball shaped), fried egg, hotdog octopus, and rice balls (onigiri).  I've displayed everything in the containers made from the foil packet.


The taste was... interesting.  I found some a bit grainy (maybe I didn't mix them long enough) and while I really liked the soda and grape flavoured onigiri, some of the others weren't that great.

Still, it was a lot of fun making everything.

No comments: